Cooking Tools & Equipment



I. Nothing about the kitchen should be dark. The presence of heat and sharp objects argues against it, as does the need for spotlessness. Also, light is appropriate to the place the signifies life, energy and sustenance. This isn't to say you can't decorate with dark walls or cabinets, but you do need solid light sources (and I would argue--that can be adjusted.)

II. Cook for the kitchen you are in. Consider the reality of your workspace. Identify and accept its benefits and constraints. If your kitchen has no windows or ventilation, broil the chicken rather than grilling it on the stove top. Do not attempt to roast a 20 pound turkey in a kitchenette's half oven. If you only have counter space for the cutting board, but not for rolling dough, make baked apples, not apple strudel.

III. Obtain the basics. It is less expensive and more productive in the long run to buy one quality knife than multiple inferior ones. This is true for most other equipment as well. I inherited (and still use) my mother's seasoned cast iron skillet. I have my original hand mixer, Cuisinart, my second blender (when I did finally buy quality,) and many other things. I currently need to replace a paring knife and a non-stick saute pan, and I will invest in the best, rather than cheap--which I would ultimately toss quickly.

IV. Care for your knives. Sharpen your knives up to several times a week so that you never have a rolled or dull edge. Use a whetstone to raise a burr, and hone with a sharpening steel, as needed, to refresh the blade. Clean and dry thoroughly after each sharpening. If you are a professional cook you are already doing all of this, of course. If you are a home cook, consult a culinary pro.

To ensure longevity, use wood or plastic cutting boards. Marble, glass or ceramic will chip or dull your knife blades providing no "bite" for the blade and encouraging slipping. I listed wood as acceptable, but I never use it anymore, and I would add that owning a marble surface is good for confectionery and baking creations where you need to keep the ingredient at a low temperature.

Never scrape the sharp edge across the cutting board. To gather food bits, either waste or choppings, turn your knife over and scrape with the spine of the blade. I also keep a pastry scraper handy for these moments.

Never put your knives in the dishwasher. Hot water dulls the blades. Wash your knives in warm, soapy water and dry them immediately with a clean towel. Never leave knives soaking in the sink. This is bad for the blade and dangerous, if you should reach in unaware.

Never use your knife for anything other than breaking down foods. It is not a can opener, box cutter, or screw driver.

V. Hold the knife's handle and blade properly. Very important. Three fingers around the handle; thumb and forefinger pinching the blade. No other method provides greater control or safety.

VI. Dress for the job. In an environment of things hot, heavy and sharp, covered limbs and feet are compulsory. Long sleeves. Hair pulled back and covered. Rings off. Professionals do not wear those double breasted white jackets merely to resemble members of a brigade. Protection from cuts and burns is essential. I posted this rule knowing most people won't follow it, in totality, including myself. I do, however, always have my hair pulled back and tight so stray hair doesn't find its way into food, I don't wear jewelery while preparing food, and I am rarely barefoot. If I were in a professional kitchen or catering? Never.

VII. Carry two towels. One for each hand. Not primarily to wipe smudges and spills, but to pick up hot things safely. Don't grab a pan with a wet cloth. I usually have my towels next to my food preparation area, or tucked into the waistband if I am wearing a chef length apron.

VIII. Do not wear perfume or cologne while you cook. Anything that inhibits or distracts your sense is inappropriate in a kitchen. Banish fragrance candles, counter sprays, scented soaps and lotions. Let only your ingredients and their chemical transformation scent the air. I admit it. I do wear perfume while cooking. I don't use scented candles in the kitchen, but I do have fragrant hand soaps and lotions. Again, if I were cooking professionally? No.

IX. Banter down. In a professional setting, there should be no voices louder than the symphony of banging pots, boiling water, sizzling and chopping. Do not stop chopping. Stop talking. Focus on your task. You need all of your senses at the ready, without distraction. I can cook and talk while working? Some friends, like my friend Laura, loathe it and find it totally distracts them. I say "err on the side of caution and shut up."

X. Use your hands and fingers. Julia Child used to say that a cook's best tool is her hands. As long as those parts are clean, pick up, grab on, dig in. Connect directly to your ingredients. My friend Laura again. I once asked her mother for her meatball recipe, so Laura and I could preserve it on this blog. She said to me, "You know you'll have to really dig into the meat to mix in the ingredients thoroughly." I told her that was not a problem.

XI. Never use your hands and fingers to taste. A cook never moves from hand to mouth. A clean fork or spoon does the job just as well. Good manners require it. Sanitation demands it.

XII. Be wary of single-use gadgets. A skilled cook with a chef's knife, can make better garlic paste, with no waste, than a garlic press. An avocado slicer? A cherry pitter? Herb snips? No. This rule makes me laugh because just this week I threw away a cherry pitting tool. I would make an amendment to some of this rule. A wooden dowel for reaming citrus fruit is good to have on hand, and I still like a garlic press at times. I have a tiny porcelain dish with a raised bumped center that it solely for grating ginger, and it's aesthetically pretty, plus it catches all the juice, so practical. But overall, rethink single use gadgets.

XIII. Use wet measures for liquids. Dry measures for solids. Yes, there is a difference, negligible in small scale recipes, but significant when larger amounts apply. A reliable indicator of which is which: wet measuring cups tend to have spouts. Dry measuring cups do not.







No comments:

Post a Comment