Kathy's Rum Cake

Just Out of the Oven
 
 
Kathy's Rum Cake
 
 
Ingredients:
 
1 package yellow cake mix (other flavors also work great)
1 package instant vanilla pudding (the 3.5 ounce small box)
4 large eggs
1/2 cup rum (it can go up to one cup)
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup poppy seeds (optional)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
 
Directions:
 
1) Beat all of the ingredients at medium speed for five minutes.  Pour into a greased ten inch bundt or cake pan. 
 
2) Bake for one hour at 350 degrees.
 
3) Cool fifteen minutes then turn out.
 
A Special Art Deco Shaped Bundt Pan
  
Glaze:
1/4 cup butter
2 cups powdered Confectioner's Sugar
2 to 4 tablespoons milk, cream or hot water
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
 
Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave.  Add to the powdered sugar.  Add the milk-water and vanilla extract.  Stir to blend, beat until smooth and creamy.  Add a bit more milk if necessary.  
 
 Drizzle the finished glaze over the cake.  You can vary the glaze by adding other extracts or citrus zests.
 
NOTES:
 
* I used Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
 
* I used a medium brown rum as it's all I had
 
* I used a Greek full fat plain yogurt which fell slightly short of one full cup, so I added a few teaspoons of sour cream to fulfill the measurement.
 
* I skipped the poppy seeds
 
* I used Wesson oil.
 
*For the glaze, I microplane zested a navel orange and juiced the entire thing.
 
* I used cream instead of milk
 
* I forgot the vanilla extract (duh) but it came out fine.  And after going to buy a good quality bottle.  Shaking head at self.
 
* I didn't wait 15 minutes for a cool down.  The non-stick pan made the cake quite brown so I put a rack over the top and turned it, then let it cool outside the pan.
 
About five minutes in I put the glaze over the cake, with wax paper under the cooling rack, then reused it two more times in the coating process.  The fresh orange gave it a brisk, clean flavor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment